View Single Post
      10-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
notmisfit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Ultimate Driving Machine (New Owner)

Indeed. This Tuesday I picked up a CPO 2008 135i 6MT 45k miles, with the M sport package, heated 8 way power seats, ipod/usb and couldn't be happier. It just came off lease. (3yr/15k)

2 months ago - I was more or less settled on a 350z 2 months ago as a "cheap" toy. I have gone back and forth about buying a new car for a couple years now and was also set on a new WRX for quite a long time. One day those couple months ago I made the mistake of test driving a 2012 DCT 135i on an impulse on the way to visit my dad. I remembered seeing an M version on Top Gear and wasn't all that impressed but I remembered him raving about it vaguely so I figured what the hell it was only 10ft away from the road on the way to dad's.

That was a mistake. I described it to my friends as a religious experience. Something that had all the power I wanted, didn't scream pull me over, and was very well refined for my commute's in to work. It's like Christian Bale in American Psycho I thought. Mild mannered on the outside but a serial killer underneath. While the looks aren't for everyone to me the car looks like it was molded out of clay as opposed to designed on a computer like the 370z, and I love the looks of the 370z.

From there I the last spent 2 months trying to reason a 2012 135i lease into my budget and keeping the brochure close like it was my bible. It wasn't that hard since I'm single (have a 9 year old son that lives with me) but no wife to stop my madness. However the more sensible side of me won and I started to look down in the 25-35k range. Last Saturday I test drove the following cars: 2008 135i 6MT, 2009 370z 6MT, 2008 G37S 6MT, and for kicks, a 2008 IS250 as they didn't have any 350's on the lot.

I already knew what I wanted after the first test drive (135i) but I tried the others. I was very glad the 6MT is so great in the 135, I have driven purely manual cars for the last 15 years and wasn't really ready to make the plunge to even a DCT setup.

Anyway long story short I'm very happy with my purchase and the last 2 days of driving it have been great. I even already have my first warranty visit! The nozzles don't spray wiper fluid. It's not wax, I was hoping it was. I've got the original warranty until September 2012 and then CPO until September 2014. Hopefully no HFFP issues surface or brake lights fall off! I worked with Ron @ Baron BMW in Kansas City for anyone who was curious and they were great to deal with.

List of previous cars (worth noting anyway) I got tired of making slow cars handle great & stop quick only to be lacking in power. I don't speed everywhere but I like merging into traffic without turning off my air conditioning.

1994 Mazda Miata (8 months - completely upgraded suspension and brakes)
1993 Nissan 240sx Coupe (7 years - completely upgraded suspension and brakes)
1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon (2 years - completely upgraded suspension and brakes, still have this for winter)

I have done some track days and autocross in the past and will be joining the BMWCCA and trying to do some more in the future. If you read this far I think it's obvious I love the car!
Attached Images

Last edited by notmisfit; 10-27-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0