View Single Post
      08-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #83
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
That's why you put it in M and shift it yourself.

Yes, it shifts at red line and at ~1000rpm, but why would you ever let it go to red line or below 1500rpm? Power falls before red line and there is plenty of power in the lower RPMs so there's no reason not to shift earlier.
On to a different aspect of this thread-JACK.
Well, one reason you would want to get near red line is due to gearing, and the advantage it can give to acceleration.

Just because power drops off, that doesn't mean acceleration is still not happening.
Sure, if you want to "feel" the big power on every shift you'll want to shift well before red line. But, that may not be the fastest method to achieve the fastest acceleration.

Example, our manual 135i hits about 106mph in 3rd gear.
So, if you're doing a 1/4 mile run for fastest time, you'll want to fully use 3rd gear and the engines ability to keep pulling to that speed for the fastest 1/4 before having to shift to 4th and lose time in the process.
You could shift early in every gear, but you'll be making a 4th shift to hit the end of the 1/4 in the fastest time.

In my 135i manual it feels fastest to 60 or 100mph when I shift each gear nearly to red, and feels powerful but slower if I shift around 6k where the dyno and butt show and sense a power drop.

But, I haven't done any official track 1/4 mile runs in my 135i t verify this, only going by engine speed, gear ratio, and tires. So, I'd welcome some manual 1/4 mile track guys to chime in and tell us where they shift for their fastest times.
I believe the DCT doesn't even hit 100mph in 3rd, as it's somewhere around 97mph at the top of 3rd.
Though my numbers could be off.

Last edited by RPM90; 08-18-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0