CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have struggled to swap summer/winter sets on my wife's Mercedes GL450 (20" wheels with gigantic run flat tires) and have found a technique that works for me. I adjust the jack so that the hub is no more than 1cm higher than needed to minimize lifting but allow some room to maneuver. I put a wheel bolt in 1 hole that will be at the top and position the wheel in the hub centric ring. I use my knee to brace the bottom of the wheel so that it won't sway outward, which it tries to do. I can then turn the wheel slightly until the wheel bolt drops into the hub. I will then turn it all the way in hand tight. The rest line up easily after that. Without proper sized hub centric ring, it would be impossible. I have only had one wheel off the 1M and it worked well, much lighter wheels. If you have sometime with nowhere to go, experiment with it.

If you don't overjack the car higher than needed, it should be more finesse than brute strength that is required. I am not an athlete by anyone's standards and manage the huge GL wheels pretty well now that I have figured out the mechanics of it. The first time was a comedy, though. I didn't think I would ever get them on!
Appreciate 0