01-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by new128 View Post
After reading this thread, I had to look at mine.
With the instructions in this thread and looking at the diagram, it makes perfect sense.
BTW, my car is just over 3 weeks old and the top of the red float is about 1/4" below the top (which I assume is where it was when I picked it up - can't believe I need coolant already). This would seem to indicate a low level, but is it really?
Has anyone had this condition and added coolant? How much coolant did you actually add to bring it back to normal? (I realize that being only 1/4" below the top doesn't mean I would would be adding a cooresponding tiny amount.)

I think that is because when the car is new there are some air pockets trapped in the engine. It take some time for the car to "burb" itself.

Also... I suspect that the turbos when shut down hot... use some coolant in the cool down process. I think this is where everyones coolant is dissapearing.

My coolant float was about an inch low... when I topped it back up... it took almost one liter of coolant! I've been checking it at each oil change and all is fine. The coolant level remains the same now. Don't really know why. Perhaps it is like the one or two liters of oil everyones 135i's seem to use when new. Once you get past 15K miles, this tends to stop.

Dackel
Appreciate 0