United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
I don't think it's the Germans falling out of love with the car culture. It's the younger generations that don't really care about anything but "BMW Apps". I think it's generational, not national, or cultural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
At the expense of sounding like Old Man Withers blaming "damned kids!!!" I agree for the most part. I'd bet that many younger enthusiasts would be more excited about real drivers' cars if they had the opportunity to try one. Imagine being born in 2013 -- by the time you'd be of driving age, what chance would you have to become exposed to what some of us grew up with?

Maybe we need to start a mentoring program for new drivers. Give 'em some track time in a manual transmission 1 Series or a BRZ before they get to purchase their first car.
I would agree with that as well. I remember recently reading about how many kids are not very interested in obtaining their drivers license once they turn 16 these days. It seems that other enthusiast and classic car groups are aware of this "lack of interest" too, as I've heard about various groups trying to engage younger generations and generate interest in driving, working on, and owning classic/driver's cars.