View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Ive run additives that are well proven, not the snake oil NASCAR labeled garbage. Stuff that has a real chemical basis behind it.

TCW-3 (dont run an ash type two-stroke, as it will foul things) will burn clean, keep some surfaces clean, and serve as an upper cylinder lubricant. One of the issues with HPFPs and such things IMO is that there is insufficient lubricity in most fuels. This is a bigger deal with diesel fuels, but Ive done enough monitoring of fuel pump noise to identify that some adds work and others dont.

But there is another fundamental issue here. The mechanistics of additves on normal engines is different than on DI. There is no valve face to spray on or to keep clean. Injection is straight in, so there isnt really a pre-heating or flashing off here.

I have after a fw tanks of TCW-3, noticed a fine oily residue inside the tailpipes of my 135i. This indicates that some of the less volatile components in the TCW-3 did not burn off, and condensed in some form at the tailpipe.

We have confirmed elsewhere that Redline SI-1 will survive the combustion process at some level, and so has a chance to go over the valves and other surfaces in DI engines. SI-1 also acts like an UCL, though surely not as good as something like TCW-3 or FP60.

My choice is to run a maintenance dose (less is more!) of SI-1 on a regular basis. There is no shocking to the system, it keeps things routinely clean and lubricated, etc...

I have run MMO, FP60 ad FP plus, Schaeffer's soy ultra and a few others in tanks of fuel. In other cars I have noticed positive benefits. In this car, somewhat different than my others, I have not noted any changes, but this is also a new car with different design.

Still IMO a maintenance dose of a good additive is smart.
Appreciate 0