View Single Post
      06-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #40
tmclssns
Sideways
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E87 118d

I do agree that the global environment needs attention. If BMW is able to produce smaller (diesel) engines that still keep up, it's fine. I do like performance but I never had any problems driving aroud in my 118d hatch (E87). It has 130hp and performs well enough on the road.

It goes 125 mph, which is far above the allowed speed limit in most European countries and it gets to that speed with ease. It's no where going as fast as a sports car - but rest assured you're faster than 80% on the road. I know a fair few 120d cars that after a software update get above 200 hp... Some guys drive these cars here in Belgium on circuit and lots of other drivers are unable (or barely able) to keep up.

So smaller engine, good performance equals Freude am Fahren. However, every time I get into the car of my wife, I'm shocked by the horrible job it does to put down the 120 hp it has. So I can only imagine what +200 hp would do with such a car. Even with all the electronics etc. and besides the fact I was amazed by the Mini Cooper S JCW performance, I still had my doubt about FWD. It feels like I can't rely on it for safety. It's unpredictable, it's unsafe.

So I guess BMW is taking the "commercial" initiative - lots of people buy a BMW these days for the badge instead of the driving dynamics, the spirit of their cars. A lot of people even don't realize (apparently) that their BMW is RWD in the first place. In Belgium, lots of 1-ers are "leased", used as a company car. While I made my decision for a BMW based on my past experiences and the car itself, lots of people (incl. women) opt for this car because it has an interesting market value for leasing companies, so it is an interesting car to consider for a lease.

To that market, the FWD would be good thing. Cheaper cars, more room for options. But if I was BMW, I'd focus again on what matters. Offer the FWD for lower powered cars but allow people who want to, to choose for RWD as well on all models.

Oh and BMW, keep the RWD at the same price, will you?
Appreciate 0