04-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #26
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There is one BIG important reason in using a pressure bleeder like Motive's. When you use the old fashion way to bleed the brakes, by having someone pump up and hold the pedal... all it takes is for them to go too deep - stepping down on the brake pedal travel. To ruin the brake master cylinder seals. You won't fnd this out until much later though.

The brake master cylinder walls get polished over time and use of the brakes. Normally the bottom half of the brake master cylinder is all rusty. Any good metal rusts (just look at our brakes when the car gets parked in the rain!). So... when you have your assistant - pump and hold the brake pedal... and he/she goes too deep down the pedal stroke... the rust down there will cut the ruber o-ring seals in the cylinder. A few thousand miles later you'll be sitting a T-light and notice why you brake pedal is slowly going to the floor! This is because the seals are leaking b-fluid internally. Nothing you can do but to replace the master brake cylinder. This is why I like using a Brake Pressure Bleeder - like Motive's. Also bc I can work alone on my car. But mostly it is for the safety aspect.

Also.... Always use NEW brake fluid. Even if its just a few months old open can - do not use it! Brake fluid is like a sponge... it will absorb water. In water in the air like in humind climates.

Btw... I always put brake fluid inside of my Motive pressure bleeder. I also use a new clean turkey baster to suck up - excess brake fluid from the B-fluid resivior after the job is done. Also you should have some "Brake Cleean" on hand to spray down/off any spilled brake fluid off painted surfaces and wipe clean. brake fluid and paint do not mix well!

Good Luck
David
Thanks for the advice.