View Single Post
      08-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
The fact is that I have driven a RFT with less than 10 PSI for more than 50 miles and patched it and the RFT still performed as usual with no side effect after another 10K miles or at least I can't tell. Of course, I will not drive it above 100 mph. Please keep in mind, the manufacturer always remcommend whatever within the safest operating parameters because of liability reasons, but it doesn't mean you have to replace the RFT once it was driven flat; else RFT is not RFT.
A few months ago, I got a screw in my tire causing about a 4lb/day leak. I kept the tire inflated with my mobile compressor so that the warning light never came on. I thought... well, this is good, i can just have someone repair it, but no one would, i mean no one! I was told you can't repair a run flat! Sometimes with a stern warning. I think this is total BS. I got a plug kit and did the repair myself, and have had no problems since. It really highlighted the stupidity of RFT's.

But, is we can assume an RFT can be run say 10miles at less than 10psi, I don't understand why there can't be some kind of side wall wear indicator so that it can be determined if a tire is repairable. Since most low tire situations are a small sharp object (nail/screw), RFT could actually have the advantage of being able to address the tire repair in a safer place. But again that's assuming 10 or so miles of no air operation would ruin the side wall.
Appreciate 0