View Single Post
      02-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
stephenm
Rep
Drives: 135i

Guys, I wanted to give you all an update on this. After calling pretty much every vendor and getting the same answer, or an "I'll go check this out" and never call back, I was ready to pretty much give up and sell the seats.

But, one of my buddies that works at AST told me I should give Vorshlag a call and have them see if they could fabricate something up. Well, after a long wait (for me at least lol), I took my car and seats to see them. The guys there are awesome, they knew exactly what I wanted, and how to deliver it. Terry, being a tall guy himself, knew that I needed to sit lower in the car, and they had developed other mounts for BMWs to do exactly that.

The seats are were a very tight fit (I have the SRDs not the Speeds, same seat, but they are about 50mm wider shoulder-shoulder), but they were able to squeeze them in and just barely rub the door. The results are amazing, I feel like I'm driving a different car now. The seat sits a good 2 if not 3 inches lower. The top of my helmet with me sitting up straight is below where my head used to be, without helmet, doing a gansta lean to sit in the car comfortably. I had a Z before my 135, and I always felt pretty comfortable in it and I would say this is lower than even that was. Did I mention that they also incorporated a dual locking sparco slider? The finish/fit on the mount is the same quality you could expect from any Vorshlag product, really really great stuff. They took some photos that are on their Facebook page and will be on their website later today I'm guessing. I'll post some on this thread too when I get a chance. Currently they are looking into solutions to disable the lights from the seatbelt sensor, weight sensor, and airbag. We think that maybe with a combination of coding and the OC3, that maybe we can get all the lights off, but still have the passenger airbag enabled.

The best news for you guys is that I talked to Terry about doing a group buy for these, he said if I can get at least 5 people on this, they would love to do that for us. But, even my one off custom fabricated piece was reasonable, less than one of the seats for both mounts, install, and frustrations lol.

So to break it down:
1) mount recaro bottom mount seats in 1
2) sits a good 2-3 inches lower than stock (great for guys over 6'1")
3) dual locking slider (FIA approved)
4) uses stock rear seat buckles for belts
5) super nice quality pieces
6) still working on coding/trickery to keep passenger airbag
7) seats with mounts weighed in at a little over 33lbs

Here is a link to the page where the pictures will be uploaded to:
http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Service/Race-Seat/

and of course their FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorshlag/460717830112
Appreciate 0