View Single Post
      05-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
Jeff10236
Rep
Drives:

I figured you probably did agree with me overall, I just figured I should clarify.

As for the pickups and such, if we did more to move towards ethenol, diesel and hybrids I'm not sure it would matter.

Many GM trucks for instance are already flex fuel and capable of handling E85. More GM, Ford and Dodge trucks that can do flex fuel and it won't matter what mileage they get (as it will be an 85% cut in fossil fuel consumption per vehicle already). If the government provided more incentives to make the vehicles, and to the gas companies to provide the fuel, along with research into making ethenol from grasses (I believe they call it biomass) and it will only take a few years to be ready.

A diesel or turbodiesel can add 15-20% to a vehicle's efficiency, and add torque so they are better for towing and hauling. We already have the capacity, and once we move more towards biodiesel we can cut oil consumption even more (anywhere from 10% for B10 to 100% for B100). In cars, you can see 40-50mpg in economy sized cars, and 30-40mpg in midsized cars.

Hybrid technology is already coming down in price, and will do so more as more vehicles are made available in the technology. Many people still think of the ultra-efficient, but not so fun, Prius when they think hybrid. However, Honda in the Accord and even Toyota in the Lexus hybrids and Highlander went the other way. The Accord hybrid is a V6 with 4cyl gas mileage and V8 performance. The Lexus hybrids go for higher power levels and only moderate MPG advances in their versions. Even in trucks, they don't have to lose their hauling/towing ability when done this way (only Toyota has, the rest of the hybrid SUVs to date are little 4cyls with no real power).

I agree that some regular gas engine choices would be nice, when done in efficient designs like the BMW, Toyota and Honda engines. I think more alternatives should be made available and in numbers that make the technologies more affordable, but after that it is a market decision. Also, hybrids, ethenol, and in some cases diesels done right don't have to effect the 'fun factor' adversely.
Appreciate 0