07-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstib View Post
I'm confused a bit - it's normal that a tire bulges with less than 1000 miles, or do we think the nail made the bulge?

I'll try the Other dealerships, but you're right, I need to monitor a guy doing it as 'caring' means a lot.
typically a tire with a bulge has sustained an " impact break" or " impact knot" This bulge occurs from the tire being subjected to a force strong enough to break a belt in the tire, causing the bulge.

Imagine if you were to squeeze a balloon.. it will bulge. A tire, being made of rubber and steel belts can bulge, but will not retake the original shape like a balloon because of the stiffer rubber and belts. I would guess that the impact knot present IS related to the nail, since they are in close proximity.

However it is also ENTIRELY possible that they ocurred separately, so I wouldnt necessarily relate them to each other just because of proximity and looking at a photo online. In any case, either the nail has caused damage to the sidewall, or possibly the tire struck an object that the nail was in.. and damage ocurred to the tire as well as picking up the nail, oir perhaps the tire struck something recently, and the tire was damaged previously.. OR.. if the nail was hit recently and the tire lost air... then the tire was driven with low air.. then the sidewall damage ocurred later.

Do you need a new tire? Yes.. that bulge can eventually fail.

Good luck with it.. but I think you will have an uphill battle and I seriously doubt this will be covered by a tire manufacturer or dealer unless it is done as a goodwill gesture to keep your business.

-----------------------------------

Not sure what the concern is regarding having a tire done. Any number of businesses (NTB, Tire Rack... Discount Tire etc) can mount or dismount a 19" tire. heck... Inner city shops in tha hood are mounting 22s, 24s, and 26s. If the tire company you visit doesnt show confidence they can change it without issues then move on to the next.. Who installed the tires that are on it now 1000 miles ago? have them do it? you can always source a tire and bring it in..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0