View Single Post
      11-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Black (2015)

I switched from the M-sport wheel that came with my '08 135i (sport package) to the Performance Wheel, mostly because I had moved to this car from a Porsche GT3 which was all alcantera. I really hate the 'squishy' feeling of that M wheel, using perforated leather. The thickness of both is similar, although I'd say the bottom and top of the Performance wheel feels a little thicker. The M wheel seemed extra padded at 9 and 3 o'clock.

The bigger difference is the solid, hard feeling of the Performance wheel, and nice grip of the alcantera, versus the odd squishy feel of the M wheel.

As for the functionality, that is something I'm not too sold on. Need to learn it a bit more, especially how to use it for any timing. The shift points are almost silly - the engine makes so much noise over 4000 rpm it is hard to miss, and the lights are blinking red while still having another 2-3000 RPMs left before redline. I realize it is a turbo so no real harm in shifting early, but c'mon - I don't need my wheel blinking like the car is about to explode when I'm closer to the crawl RPM than I am to redline.

btw: I also did the Performance shift knob/boot and parking brake so the alcantara touch points throughout was a nice balance. Not sure I'd have bothered with the wheel without doing those other two.

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0