View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Thanks Artemis! I have my summer wheels back on for a week now. Had no problems with my 18" winter tyres, but when I now turn my wheel while reversing with the 19" stock setup, the right front tyre rubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Anyone in the US have this change made?
I am noticing a rub when turning to the left (mostly when backing up) in the front right fender. I have not noticed the left front fender rubbing. Not only is this annoying (least of my concerns) but I don't want to mess up the fender liner or the tire!
As quoted above, a German 1M owner reported (Apr 14, 2012) that his 1M front fender liners were replaced upon initiative of his dealership (he visited his dealership for another reason and they spontaneously raised the topic themselves):
"I visited my dealer for another reason.
There I was informed, without [my] request, that the front fender liners must be replaced. Info from BMW. Upon query for the reason [of the replacement] the answer was something along the lines of «rubbing of the front wheels against the fender liners at full lock during reverse driving»".

("Ich war wegen einer anderen Geschichte bei meinem [dealer].
Da wurde mir ohne Nachfragen mitgeteilt, dass die vorderen Radhausschalen getauscht werden sollen. Info von BMW. Auf Nachfrage warum war die Antwort war in etwa.....Schleifen der Vorderräder an der Radhausschale mit eingeschlagenen Rädern beim rückwärts fahren."
)

http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...ml#post1451049
So if you experienced/noticed fender liner rubbing (check especially the front right), then keep your ears and eyes open during your next 1M service visit to the dealership. It might be that they raise the issue before you do.

Here's a take on the issue, via two pictures of stock 1M wheels and tires, by a Belgian bimmer forum member (Andra): the "indent zone" of the fender liner should be sitting a little lower, more particularly in the tire versus fender liner "contact zone" (source: http://www.bimmerboard.be/forum/inde...opic=26797.315). Seems to make sense IMHO.

Name:  Stock_1M_Wheel.jpg
Views: 3746
Size:  18.8 KBName:  Stock_1M_Wheel_2.jpg
Views: 4740
Size:  20.8 KB

Furthermore, he correctly pointed out that rubbing tires can be a reason to fail a pass at the motor vehicle inspection in Belgium.