View Single Post
      06-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #100
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

I don't mean to harp on JSpira - I only asked because he mentioned an upcoming comparison earlier in this thread, and I have a lot of respect for his opinion.

There have been conflicting posts both on this board and others (specifically Audi's) in relation to the loss of quality with the D/A conversion, and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet. (JSpira’s earlier tests of sound quality were not extensive as his interface had just been installed.)

I mean no offense, but if you listen to anything at 128k - anything at all - you're probably not as concerned about audio quality as I am, so your impression of the loss in sound quality resulting from the conversion would not be the same as mine. (I run everything as pure WAV now and will convert to Apple lossless or 320k AAC at the bare minimum. Logic7 has already been a compromise from having custom aftermarket components in the past, so I am concerned about additional compromise in sound quality.)

Yes, there are other entry points in any sound system for degradation in quality or noise, but the goal is to eliminate as many of those as possible. As such, I’m not sure how your mention of other areas of degradation is relevant. Would you want your sound quality degraded 3 times, 2 times, only once, etc.?

Seriously, thanks for your post though. I'm just a pretentious audio snob, I guess.

Last edited by bsjd00; 06-16-2006 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0