06-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #102
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
I don't mean to harp on JSpira - I only asked because he mentioned an upcoming comparison earlier in this thread, and I have a lot of respect for his opinion.

There have been conflicting posts both on this board and others (specifically Audi's) in relation to the loss of quality with the D/A conversion, and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet. (JSpira’s earlier tests of sound quality were not extensive as his interface had just been installed.)

I mean no offense, but if you listen to anything at 128k - anything at all - you're probably not as concerned about audio quality as I am, so your impression of the loss in sound quality resulting from the conversion would not be the same as mine. (I run everything as pure WAV now and will convert to Apple lossless or 320k AAC at the bare minimum. Logic7 has already been a compromise from having custom aftermarket components in the past, so I am concerned about additional compromise in sound quality.)

Yes, there are other entry points in any sound system for degradation in quality or noise, but the goal is to eliminate as many of those as possible. As such, I’m not sure how your mention of other areas of degradation is relevant. Would you want your sound quality degraded 3 times, 2 times, only once, etc.?

Seriously, thanks for your post though. I'm just a pretentions audio snob, I guess.

I didn't feel harped upon...

I did make a brief comparison - the problem I'm up against is that I tend to store my CDs away as soon as they are ripped (I first rip them in FLAC and convert to other formats as required).

So I only had one CD handy.

That notwithstanding, and I think I have a fairly critical ear having grown up in training to become a pianist, I did not hear a discernable difference between the CD player and the iPod.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member