02-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #184
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett
I guess either you havn't read the full press release, or you've failed to understand what BMW has released.

-It's a bi-turbo, meaning that it uses 2 very small lightweight turbos whon FULL torque come into play at 1,500rpm's - 5,800rpm's.

-Hi Pressure high precision Direct Injection fuel delivery system.

-Piezo dispensor (If you seen a modern day Humidfyer, then you can understand how broken up and dispersed the fuel will be in the cylinder, vrs just a spray.

-Brand new engine block

-5% better fuell efficiency than the engine it replaces.

-Increased "smoothness" over previous engine. (if that even was an issue.. but now it even better)

-LIGHTER

Now, Bimmerista.... what would .5 more liters give you over such an impressive engine that BMW engineers just released.

More weight ..?

Less fuel economy ..?

Less torque ..?

Offset the superb balance of the 3-series ..?

All because you CANNOT get over the notion that turbo's are used in AIRPLANES and have been around over 100 years ..?
I have read the press release:

-DI will mean zilch here for fuel economy until we get the new grade fuels they have in Europe;

-I hope you are right and the press release does not embelish all of the rest of what is claimed; however, the Audi also claimed instant miraculous no gap torque from 1,800 rpm and gues what, there was a turbo lag.

So I hope that Garret is right and the fact that the larger displacement 6 plus twin turbo (smaller turbos) will diminish turbo lag.

All that I am saying is that I will believe when i test drive it not before.

PS I have owned turbos before so I don't get your comment about turbos in airplanes etc. It is not that I do not believe in turbos , I have yet to meet the turbo engine that I like.
Appreciate 0