View Single Post
      07-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #196
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I really like my 135, but anyone who has driven a current M3 can tell you how much more fun it is to drive when it comes to handling.

The 1M chassis is basically the M3's just bolted in. This is why the 1M flares have to be so large. The front track is going to be 2.2" inches wider than a 135i. The rear track is .8" wider. You can bolt on your house and will not get the same handling of this different chasis. This track difference alone will improve the basic physics and grip and naturally get rid of a lot of understeer which plagues the 135. All this talk about modding a 135 into a better car than the 1M is fun but ignores important differences.

The electronic controls and integrated M diff are another item that cannot be easily replicated if at all. And how many modders, and I am a modder, install multiple variations of bushing materials to find the right durometer so the chassis is finely balanced and then go test it at the "Ring"? Not me.

Go look at OEM.com and compare all the differences between an M3 and 135i chassis. All of the aluminum arms are stronger and lighter. The difference in
part numbers is large. The M3, and 1M, chassis is a complete evolution of the 135i/335i chassis.

The point is, as a starting point, the 1M has advantages that cannot be easily replicated with even serious mods to a 135i. You can always mod a 135 and enjoy that, but few modded 135's will better the 1M and would cost more to create.
Your post is what seperates the Delusionites from people who know what they are talking about. You have a lot of sour grapes around here. Some people think they know more or as much as the M engineers and think that they can replicate what they have done, by doing a weekend mod vs Months spent on the 'Ring and in the lab. It's like me thinking that all I need to do to take out a 430 Scud is put a huge snail on my IS and wa-la, I have a Ferrari beater. It doesn't work like that. And at the end of the day, the 135i owner has a "reg" 135i and the 1M owner has a M product with a M specific VIN number. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0