08-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #1251
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I like BNL, I used to be huge into them. I've seen them a few times, they're great live. It will be interesting to see how they are now that Steven Page left.
I've been huge into them for a long time - 3 cruises, at least 70 concerts, etc. I've got a number of close friends around the world due to being part of the fan community.

This weekend wasn't as painful as seeing them last year when I cried when Ed was singing Old Apartment - I said "This song is about _them_ now". But they're still trying to work it out.

Ed sang OA, Too Little Too Late, Brian Wilson, a few others that used to be Steve songs. Kevin has stepped into Steve's roles in One Week and $Mil and it doesn't quite fit him. And Ed is pretty much tethered to the mic now and doesn't move around the stage like he used to.

The tough thing for a hard core, long term fan like me is that they made a bunch of other changes when Steve left that makes it harder than just adjusting to that. And last year, they were pretty big on "We're _4_ now" in a way that kind of felt like they were saying "We didn't need Steve any way, so there!" That hurt a bit. And their first single on the new album "You run away" was sort of "it's all your fault".

In comparison, Steve has been nothing but gracious about the departure and it's made us feel a lot warmer to him as a result. He was at MixFest on Monday and also played Brian Wilson. He's got a new single and a new album coming out next month. I'm very excited about it all.

But we got to talk to Ed after the show this time and he was genuinely very interested in our reviews of Steve's show, so I think things will mellow out in time.

amy!
Appreciate 0