View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Fun times ahead with dealer's service department

Normally I wouldn't post this BEFORE it happens but I figure it would be a good "documentary"... this is in Vancouver, Canada

I finally decided to call up the dealer on these 2 intermittent issues:
1) Navi losing the previously tuned radio station on startup (revert to the lowest FM frequency - 87.7), 1 incident of Red Screen of Death, 1 incident of losing most of my settings (which rendered the remote useless before that - I had to use the key to unlock the car as it refuses to respond to my remote, and it's not the remote battery). Granted - the car sits in a garage for almost a full work week before being driven a few hours on the weekend.
2) Gears getting hard to engage, sometimes needing to clutch-out/clutch-in for a 2nd time in order to get into first, and while it's mostly intermittent, it's getting harder to shift into 2 and 3, sometimes even 4th.

First of all, they wanted me to agree to a $153/hr rate for diagnosing the problem as you have to pay that if it turns out not to be covered under warranty. Then they state the "life time fill" crap for my transmission fluid (it's a freaking 1M - even the service booklet says to replace every 3 oil changes which is about 75K KM). Of course they won't tell me any estimate how long it would take to diagnose the problem so if it takes like half a day to find out it's my issue, I just get myself an invoice for $600+tax for not resolving it...

Well what didn't help is that it's very close to warranty expiration, and while I can live with the Navi losing its brains a little every so often, I'm not very comfortable with a potential transmission problem out-of-warranty - I will probably still pay for whatever repairs needed to keep this car, but still, maybe the dealers here are so used to "foreigners" with more money than brains that they don't really care to do anything to please a customer

I didn't want to just jump into the independent shop route as I still have about 1 month of warranty left, I'm mostly happy with the car except for these 2 intermittent issues (and really, there is no way to reproduce it on-demand). I know the gear change problem has definitely deteriorated since I got the car 1 year and 16K KM ago, not sure about the Navi problem which looks to be power related (either battery or com-box power connection). I also feel that it's pointless to direct a shop/technician what to look for on a German car as it's mostly counter-productive ("German" engineering)

I have an appointment for Monday morning, so any wise words on how to get the service manager to handle this properly would help - in my mind, I figure flushing the transmission fluid, looking at the com-box power connection (which seems to be a common cause) or even battery replacement might make me happy not to bother them too much
Appreciate 0