View Single Post
      05-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident, Esteban. Maybe one day I will give up on manuals, but I learned to drive in one many moons ago, and I've always had a manual in the garage to keep my skills sharp, and deliver the satisfaction that comes from a series of well executed heel and toe downshifts. Flicking a paddle isn't the same, because there's no challenge to it. For several years, I commuted in a 2009 Prius, and it was not fun. The only joy there was in looking at the mileage readout, and marveling at how little gas I was using. The CVT in that car was nasty, but I get that it's the best way to incorporate hybrid power. I told my friends that a Prius is like an appliance that gets you places. The general move to CVTs in the industry is depressing.
As to zx10guy's comment about clutchless shift assistance, at least you have the option to shift like any other bike, so you can have your cake and eat it, too.
At least with Toyota and their CVTs, there's some confidence that they'll be reliable. Look at the nightmare Nissan owners are going through...let alone anyone that uses a Jatco CVT.

With the clutchless shifting I mentioned of the RR, it's really really good. It's not an automatic and can't be viewed that way compared to a DCT. You still have to manually change gears. But with how refined the system is from BMW, it's just a dream to use. You don't have to be hard on the gas to upshift. As long as you apply some throttle, you can click the trans up to the next gear. Same applies to down shifting. Get off the throttle completely, and then push down on the shifter. Bam into the next lower gear. Syncing of the rear wheel speed with engine RPMs isn't much of a concern either with the slipper clutch.

With how fast the system works in changing gears without a clutch, I don't know why anyone would ever touch the clutch lever.
Appreciate 0