View Single Post
      07-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Any car will slide under the right circumstances. I could make the 135i do winter-like doughnuts on summer tires right now. It wouldn't be that good for the car, but it's doable.

The keys are proper driving tecnique, proper equipment and good judgement. If any of those are missing, trouble will be had. But that is true mid-summer or mid-winter.

Another thing to remember is this. AWD will only help (and will vary) starting and turning, not stopping. And it will only help if all the above stuff is in place.

The STi will be better in snow of course, with all else being equal. But by no means will the 135i be dead in the water just because some snow in on the road.

With my first post and this one being said. If you live in a very rural area, where your snow removal is not great, I may lean more toward the STi. But again, if you get the 135i stuck and it has winters on it, you probably where doing something else wrong as well.

You may want to look on e90post.com as well. Do a search for something like "winter driving" and see how the 3 series' have been doing. Granted it's not a true apples to apples comparo, but it will be close enough to help you make your decision.

And just so you know, I live in the SW burbs of Chicago, and my 135i will be out in it all year. Not sure what tires are going on yet, still enjoying summer!

Good luck what ever you choose, the STi has a great community just like this one. You can't go wrong either way really.
Appreciate 0