06-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #59
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
so if it doesnt knock on your dynamic tuned map if, for example, you had a tank of bad gas but were running a 100oct tune, how does it know to adjust timing down? is it somehow able to do this before the engine knocks or pre-detonates?

correct me if i am wrong, but dont may other cars run static maps where the timing just isnt tuned overly aggressively to account for potential issues such as high temps, bad gas, etc....to avoid pre-detonation? im referencing turbo cars that do not have the ability to be dynamically tuned due to ecu limitations. or am i off base?

and btw, please come out with the n55 tune already
If you are running a 100 octane file and use 91/93, there will be some knock that causes a timing reduction. In the BMW, the DME is fast enough to react within 2 revolutions. So, by the time you experience any knock the DME will already be taking corrective measures.

There is more to maps than this, as other factors such as elevation and ambient temperature play roles as well. In all of the modern cars, we have yet to see one with a single map. For example, the TT-RS has 24 different timing maps from the factory! As a test on this car, we tried 100 octane on our pump (91/93) file. The car was able to gain 36whp over 91 octane on the same file.

The only recent car that we have seen with a single timing map is the 2.5L engine in the MK6 Golf. Since this isn't a car built for performance, VW likely didn't feel the need for a more advanced ECU with multiple maps.

The static maps you are reffering to might be in cars with externally controlled units. When you are intercepting signals to the DME, you cannot have a dynamic map. As such, you are forced to run a conservative static map, or simply run with the hopes that external factors are always favorable.

We are hard at work on the N55 and things are certainly looking good. I will post updates as they become available
Appreciate 0