04-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
did you happen to record what the temps actually were? 40deg can be significant, but it also could be rather insignificant depending on what the total temps were.

there are two types of plates in common use.
-dust shield (does an adequate job of keeping debris out, at time traps rocks and destroys your rotors)
-cooling shield (similar duty as above + guides fresh air into center of rotor)

the f30's are of the latter kind. some brake cooling solutions employ high temp ducting and bolt into position such that they duct air from the bumper directly into the center of the rotor. cooling achieved by these setups is *immense*, especially when paired with a well-designed vented rotor.
Good question.. you can take a look at this link of Kori's where we duscussed all of this.. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ol+brake+plate

as i said in my above results ( this thread) i really wasent prepared to do this and dint plan my stopping areas. the road i use so i can safetly accelerate and stop without being rear ended or without attracting attention has very few pull off areas that arent sand or grassy burms. I had to go for a while befor i pulled over.

the stock plate side had a temp of 290 ish, the side with the F30 plate had a temps of 250 ish .

Temps taken at rotor face about 2 inches from rotor with Infared thermometer.

Like in the attached thread from last year, with planning i can get up to true race speeds and decel as if it was turn 1 at lime rock ... those temps, with a moment or too of coasting and heat soak were in the 500's

My entire F30 backing plate mod is to address weekend warriors that use Daily drivers for their track work. hence something that is simple, clean does not require cutting or removal of the wheel well liner, no noises or scraping, not expensive, and is reversiable etc ...hell it can even go thru a car wash.. These F30 plates act as dust shields, and cooling plates.. i would even say that after the plates get all grimed up, they would not attract attention at the dealer level.

true, real, Race only ducting with hoses etc would be of course many times more efficient and recommend that set up for dedicated track cars.