View Single Post
      03-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #20
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My experience is 2 sided. In England, my first ever BMW 328i sport coupe was fantastically reliable. Never had one problem with it and was similar to any other japanese brand with regards to reliability. In fact, in the UK, BMWs are actually known to be highly reliable. On the other hand, I had a 740i here. What a piece of crap! Giving warning signs every second with a "check engine" or "check something else" light ever since I owned it from new. The bottom line is this: BMW reliability in the states is less than perfect. Its just a question of how much you can tolerate. I am hoping since it is now 2008, and the production process is largely computer driven (hopefully with fewer flawa overall compared with hand building), the reliability issues will be kept to a minimum. However, I do hope that I do not get problems other than service more than 2 times a year, but this might be wishful thinking also. As long as 2 things don't happen I'll be fine: it doesnt break down every week like the 740i or my first Renault 5 GT Turbo (thats a different story!) and that the service I get when it does break down is good i.e. I get a BMW loaner car when it is in the shop and not some Enterprise Rent A Car, especially when Im paying nearly 50k for a car! Thats what happens at Audi dealerships, in my experience, and it pisses me off!
You have to remember one thing though. BMW is a different class. I know Lexi sell well here and good for them since there reliability is exemplary. But, the quality of their plastics, the overall driving experience in my opinion, those you cannot compare with any BMW or Audi (dont know about Mercedes - didnt like it too much). It all depends what you want, but it is just plain wrong to compare Lexi to BMWs in terms of driving - theres too much of a difference to even bother. Im not a fanboy, its just the truth! Honestly! Ive owned many Toyotas and Nissans in my time too!
Appreciate 0