11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
I don't like where cars are going now. Yes I am a member of the "Flat Earth" society. I want only a manual tranny. I definitely don't want the sat/nav crap. I want utter old school simplicity in a car. A car you actually have to drive. I really think we will never have a car like the 1M again. The boat has set sail. I am fairly sure there never will be a car again I will desire more. I also own a 1967 Ferrari, and new ferraris don't interest me at all (no manual option).

My 1M is completely stripped. It has absolutely no mods. I will never sell. I will put about 10,000 miles a year on it. I have an E46 M3 for harsher use (snow, airports, running the kids around) to preserve the 1M. I plan on living 40 more years, so that will be 400,000 miles. With careful maintenance the 1M will make it.

Dan
Daniel, send me some Kool-Aid, I'll drink it!

Yes, I have also AW no options no fluff that I had to fight to get it that way!

It would've been easier to take a loaded one.

This car, I am certain, will be the last BMW ever made that is only offerred in a manual gearbox. Whatever new version comes out in the future, 1M....2M whatever will have all sorts of fluff on it and anyone with a pulse will be able to drive it. It will ask nothing of the driver but push the right pedal to go and the center one to stop.

This car on the other hand requires some commitment from the driver. It requires that you shift gears and work a clutch. It makes you live with one suspension setting....stiff. It instills a bit of danger in every ride with its crazy torque and desire to go sideways.

Driving the 1M is like riding a recently broken stallion. It will take you for a great ride but you have to careful you don't dig the spurs to deep or too often or it will throw you off! This element of risk and involvement is going away in cars and unfortunately BMW is leading the way with its gadgetry.

I can't wait for the next BMW gadget. It will probably some simulated heads up display that you are in some crazy loud and stiff throw-back car that will hurl you sideways if you don't treat it with respect! Of course it will never come close to the real thing which I have the privilege to fire up every morning. I am grateful for BMW making this machine and that I have been able to afford one. While kids are playing video games with crazy cool cars, I will actually be driving one for a long time.
Appreciate 0