View Single Post
      06-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #46
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierrePHRWEAUX View Post
Because I just think US is the eldorado for people who like gasoline engine:smile: . And if US market becomes 70% diesel, then which manufacturer is going to develop engine like the 3.0 TT if they can't sell it. And also, the main reason why diesel has expand like that in Europe is because diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline for taxes purpose, and then euro manufacturer have spent millions to develop high tech diesel , money they didn't spend on gas engine. It tends to change now as some manufacturers start developping small gasoline fuel-efficient turbo engine. But it's too late, at least in france, and now it smells bad in the streets and the only engine sound you can hear is 'clac clac clac clac'.
I hear what you're saying, gas engine is ultimately the sexier choice for sure. But when in comes down to fuel economy, I think the advantage of diesel over gas engine is more than just skin deep, as the difference in compression ratio fundamentally sets them apart. Even with infinitely advanced knock control, the best a gas engine can do is to approach that limit of detonation ever closer. A diesel engine, on the other hand, by its nature operates with much higher CR. And with modern diesels pumping out similar HP/Liter to top class gas engines and gobs more torque, I think they are quite attractive.

But then again I didn't grow up around diesels, so they are kinna mystical to me. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0