07-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
The Golf R doesn't get max torque until almost 3000 rpms and first gear only goes to 22 mph. The main complaint is that there is no power until you hit 3k and then it all comes and once and it can be hard to regulate. Definitely drive both they feel a lot different despite similar specs on paper. Also remember the Haldex handles like a FWD until the rear drive kicks in so it's all a matter of what you want.
There is only the understeer that's similar to a FWD. If you learn how to drive AWD properly (i.e. stay in the throttle during initial understeer while powering out of corner\curve) the results are amazing. The Gen IV haldex that was in mine (pre-tensioned clutch) was flat out awesome. I could just hammer my A3 and feel the rear wheels bring me back in line. Straight line, NOTHING like a FWD. It hooks and books. You won't feel any front wheel slip or torque steer...even when the car is producing over 400 HP. At that point ALL FOUR wheels are slipping when launched HARD.

I never had any issue with power delivery. It, for sure, isn't as the OP describes. It is nothing like a 944 Porsche-style, old school turbo where the boost is like an on\off situation. It comes on pretty linearly and then pulls all the way. Tuned it's even better. Not hard to regulate AT ALL.

And before all the "fanboi" comments...just look at WTF I traded my A3 for.
Appreciate 0