View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You should join the BMW CCA (Car Club of America). The dip stick and run flat tires are favorite rants that show up in virutually every issue of the Roundel - the club magazine. My personal aspect of the dip stick is the 2 times I have changed the oil myself on my 128i, I added 6 quarts and checked it, like I usually do, and it read full. It is supposed to take 7 quarts. Is the sensor wrong? How do I know? Pretty hard for a dipstick to fail.

The BT tool will allow you to code for a new battery as long as you put in the same type and size. If you want to switch to a mat type battery or install one of a different size, then you want NCSExpert (available free). You need a cable for NCSExpert to allow your OBC2 signals to be transmitted to your computer. I paid about $100 for mine.

I believe another poster is right, you can adjust volume on the gongs without coding. Coding would allow you to turn the gongs off in some circumstances. I also coded to cause my car to unlock itself when I remove the key. You can change a lot of annoying things with coding. But you can't give the car a dipstick.

Jim