View Single Post
      08-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #26
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
I think the reason that we get the 128i instead of the 130i is tied to the reason that we got the 328i instead of the 330i.

<snip>
This is important because an engine without this will either run out of steam at high RPM, which means the acceleration decreases as the rev increases, or worse yet just gutless throughout the rev range.

And it’s all the more absurd because the correct solution is just an ECU re-coding away for BMW. I just hate it when marketing takes precedence over engineering.
I think you're right, or at least this is what I believe.

The 328 engine is neither a low-revver, nor is it gutless. It's a nice engine, taken on its own. It pulls smack into the rev limiter with gusto, sounds great, is smooth, and even during a (protracted, I admit) test drive, I got over 26mpg average.

But the 330 engine would be better yet.

The reason I asked the question about engine differences between the 230hp and 265hp model is as I recall reading in EVO (I think, maybe elsewhere?), there's more than just an ECU/intake difference. I believe there was a camshaft difference? Not sure. I really don't remember, and can't find the article.

There's no way the 328, or 128, will keep up with a chipped WRX. The WRX already puts out the same hp as a stock 128, and chipping the WRX (or 2.0T VAG motor) gives large gains, especially in torque. If you're used to boosted torque, the 128 will feel weak down low, indeed.

I rather enjoyed it, though, for the reasons stated above.

I'd still rather have the 265hp version.
Appreciate 0