01-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
As a 1M and M2 owner... I agree with most of your statements (and disagree with a few too!)- my comments below (of note, I have not driven my 1M since picking up the M2 - still in storage, so going from memory )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbuler View Post
1) Steering feel: my personal point of view is that the M2 steering feel is worse than my wife’s 2012 Honda Odyssey minivan. It was the biggest reason I wanted to get rid of the M2 just after a couple of weeks of ownership! It made me feel very disconnected from the road. Such a fun killer. Big win here for the 1M, with an outstanding steering feel.
Pretty much agree - the soft deadspot on center of the M2 is maddening. However, once past that, it turns so nice - dare I say nicer than the 1M? But/and your comment is about steering "feel" and even though I think the M2 turns better/nicer, it still does not have the "feel".

Quote:
2) Seating position, cabin feel: the M2 makes me feel I am seating in a big car. I prefer the smaller, simpler and more intimate cabin feel of the 1M. I feel more in control, more connected to the car and the road. Also, the 1M manual seats are just amazing!
Hmmm.... I always feel like I'm sitting up too high in the 1M. The M2 seats and position are just about perfect for me.
and...
Each and every time I get in the 1M I look up to open the sunroof (which of course does not exist). I've not done that once in the M2. Can't explain - short of saying "I like seating position and cabin feel of the M2 so much more"

Quote:
3) Noise: M2 engine sound is pretty damn good with the stock exhaust. However, cabin noise was awful. Too much of a fake kind of drone, at any speed. I have the Akrapovic slip-on on the 1M so I am not able to compare to the stock exhaust. No drone in my 1M, no fake noise in the cabin, alleluia!
My 1M is totally stock, so I get that drone at ... well I forget the RPM... 3,500? Kind of annoying - and yes, there is a fix of course (N55 mid pipe?), but I'm not messing with it. The M2 on the other hand, fake sound and all, is simply wonderful!

Quote:
4) Gear Shifter: M2 shifter is too rubbery, with lack of a mechanical feel. Again, the 1M makes me feel more connected with the car.
I need to drive them back to back, have not noticed this too much

Quote:
5) M2 Auto rev matching. Could not stand the auto rev feature of the M2. Always there, every time. I had to disconnect the stability control 100% to get rid of it. Why???
I FRIKIN HATE THIS "FEATURE". Hate, Hate, hate. WHY WHY WHY (Ok, I know why, to save the clutch life - but crap, BMW doesn't even cover that anymore as part of the maintenance - so why do they care?)

On that note... the clutch sucks too. Such a late pickup. I'm almost 3 months into ownership and I'm still caught off guard sometimes when trying to take off from a light.

Quote:
I am so happy of not having the i-drive and the Navigator in my 1M. The dash is so much cleaner and lets me focus on driving. I use my i-phone and Waze for navigation.
I can't imagine having either without iDrive. And yes, I use Waze - but I love the iDrive in my 1M. Yea, I still listen to music and make phone calls and it is just so much easier to do (in terms of seeing who you are calling - with or without voice and selecting your music choices).

Quote:
Steering wheel buttons: I like to be able to increase/decrease the music volume with my left hand thumb, while I use my right hand to shift gears etc. M2 volume buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel, and you get the cruise control buttons on the left side. Did not like that.
BMW made this change across the lineup when they moved the cruise control to the steering wheel (from the stalk). I agree - it really sucks. If I have my hand on the shifter, and want to change volume or music, I can't. Stupid. Unless of course you are in a right hand drive car. Damn those people - now they have it perfect

Quote:
M2 has a more powerful engine with a more linear power delivery. The M2 is super easy to drive fast. If I tracked the car and my goal was to go as fast as possible, then the M2 would be a better choice.

But my goal is to have fun in my daily-drive and week-end canyon drives, and the 1M gives me loads of fun there, it is really a special car. Way more than the M2.
The 1M feels faster (from what I remember). I love the back end kicking out a little when I hit 2nd. It might be the whole visceral thing, but every time I get on the M2 I think "and this is faster than the 1M?"

At the end of the day, I really love my M2 (came from a 650 Gran Coupe). It is so much smaller and easier to drive and finally, after so many years, I feel like I'm part of the car when driving. From a DD perspective, it is wonderful (gripes aside).
Doug. He has the manual seats that sit quite a bit lower. About 1 3/8" lower. Different seating position then power seats. Love your notes just wanted to clarify that his manual seats are different than 1M power ones.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50