View Single Post
      09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I'd like brisker acceleration from the start - but it is after all a NA six. I guess that's what the 135 is for - and the twin turbos definitely address that concern. I've never been in the territory, but I have heard that the 135 actually does not perform as well as the 128 at higher RPMs; there may be a turbo lag up there? So it sounds like a tradeoff between low RPM pull (where most drivers feel the increase) and high RPM pull (where only seasoned, spirited drivers dare to tread), with other factors like mileage, reliability, resale value, insurance cost etc. thrown into the mix.

I find once I get the 128 up past 4K it does pretty good - 1st and second, to some extent, are kind of 'meh' but third is pure bliss for me. It's like watching the Apollo moon shots where the rocket loses a stage upstairs apiece and accelerates like a homesick angel. I get to third as soon as possible and 3rd takes me from about 40 to 80 in a flash.

I spend a lot of time in 3rd...

Drive the 128 up in its RPM range and you'll be rewarded with some pull. Not to the 135's caliber, but exhilarating none the less. You'll pay at the pump, but you would in a 135. BMW engines, from my experience and understanding, don't need (like) to be babied.

I'm no expert, but I believe there is a learning curve to getting the most out of the 128. It is a driver's car. The 128 is like a rifle, where planning and solid, consistent and precise execution meets the mark. The 135 on the other hand requires little finesse to achieve the same acceleration results; it is more like a shotgun ( a double barrelled one, with its twin turbos) that delivers results without much precision. Just my take. Lots of fun, both, in different ways. Precision vs. Power.

That being said, maybe your results are meritous of repairs. My advice? Look on youtube and find one of the numerous videos where someone is doing a 0-60 in a 128. Does it look faster than what you experience? Do a0-60 trial yourself and if the numbers are close you're expecting too much out of the car or driving it too efficiently LOL. It can be hard to break the mold of 'shift at as low an RPM as possible to save gas'. You can save gas in the 128 but if you do you're limiting it to the performance of a Yaris. If you want to drive fast you gotta burn gas. I like being able to make that decision on a daily basis. Do I want to have fun or save money?

Then there's that damn valve, which makes the clutch think you're letting your foot up really s-l-o-w-l-y from the floor. I noticed it shifting into fourth sometimes it almost seems like the clutch was slipping until it finally settled in. It also accounts for the required time lag between first and second - shift too quickly and the tranny thinks you've only pressed down halfway even though your foot is on the floor, and, crrrrrunch! So then you tend to be careful which slows you down even more.

CDV gone = bliss; next week I take it in for the SSK install. Every little bit helps....