View Single Post
      09-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The coating isn't for show, so it doesn't matter that the DP is under the car and you can't see it. A thermal coating will help insulate the downpipe and greatly reduce the amount of heat radiating from it and into your car / engine. Generally, it helps with overheating, which our cars tend to do under stress. There's also a case to be made that heated air is more energetic and therefore moves faster. Hypothetically, the faster moving air would be moving away from the engine faster and the exhaust would "flow better." I'm not totally convinced of this, but some people are. I think it's a generally good idea to coat for the sake of keeping hot air out of the engine bay, unless you're on a really tight budget.
I dont really see the heat being a big issue for a street car. The catted stockers get far hotter then the catless DP's would ever get. It has been in the low 100's here the last few weeks and I drive my car a lot and so far I dont see my car get much above 220 and most of the time it is around 200-210. There is truth to the coated ones being overall a better way to go for an all out racer who needs ever bit out of the car. Thermal dynamics comes into play when they are coated and since the heat is trapped inside the pipe more than a non-coated pipe the air will move faster and basically flow more. that difference is not going to be seen or felt on the street. If you plan to track the car often then I say go for the coated ones for sure.