View Single Post
      07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

How many track days have you done on these so far?

From my reading on the Porsche forums I get the sense that these things are finicky in terms of managing pressures -- the Pirelli website suggests 2 bar HOT which is 29 psi. That means I'd be starting cold pressures low enough to make me concerned about damaging the tire, or coming in to tweak pressures after a few warmup laps, which seems like a pain for a recreational/enthusiast driver.

How much attention did you pay to the pressures?

Other question regards camber -- what are you doing for camber? The Porsche guys are reporting at least -2.5 ...

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Durability - 10000km of road use and still have plenty of thread left, I am about 2 secs away from PB on the last run, but I think that's due to me being more cautious as I ran off track from the previous session. I haven't had a chance to look at my logs, but I have set aside some time to look at my logs on Friday before my track day this weekend. However, the time for the day didn't seem to be slowing from sessions to sessions during the day and the fastest time came later during the day. I did try to look after the temp of the tyre though so a maximum of 6 flyers to try to stop the heat cycles.

Grip - great, but a friend also got some Trofeo R for his 997, and he is not matching his 996 speeds on Hankooks Z221. However, you can't really use the Hankooks on road, but the Trofeo you can.

Wet performance - haven't had a wet session yet, but fine on road.

Cold performance - depends on what you meant by this - you get 90% grip after the first lap, which makes it very good for time attack. It is not supposed to work in very cold weather as it goes brittle - I am going to be on a track that is subzero this weekend, so I actually am trying to look for a tyre that is going to work.
Appreciate 0