05-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You are saying it will make no gains? Why bother installing it then?

New flash, headers aren't easy to make well. Yes, deleting cats will always get you some improvement, but that hardly means you have a well designed product. There is a reason very well respected companies like Akrapovic don't even bother trying. This has nothing to do with Supersprint, other than their headers being the benchmark in the industry.

Reminds me of the recent thread on M3Forum. Everyone was getting excited for CPI stepped headers(largely a Supersprint knockoff). The vendor was making claims such as "NO other header on the market makes that much torque!", and the pictures looked appealing to the masses:

And then finally someone got them and dyno'd them independently with a tune for the headers. Ended up losing torque down low and making just 15hp at the very top end. And yet another group of people wasted their money.

The bottom line is you can't just crap out a set of pipes and expect it to be good. Designing a highly effective set of headers is a skill set that takes years to develop.
I agree, not all headers are equal, but I explained to you that header design is largely based on a few set variables, including exhaust velocity, pipe length, and diameter. You could could theoretically make your own headers if you have the materials by using one of the many available header calculators.

I'm critical of everything you say because you really DON'T know. You made a comment about the bend and yet you ignore that these look similar to SuperSprint and the bends are no more aggressive than OEM.
What experience do you have with Schmiedmann products? What do you know about header design to comment on the bends?

Wow, look at those bends. (On the right is OEM and on the left is Schmiedmann.) I guess BMW doesn't know how to design headers.
Appreciate 0