Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Like I said, plant code.
Yes you did, just added explanation for the code

Quote:
Regardless, the registry only looks at the production month and is not taking into consideration the actual minute the car was technically completed. A vehicle with a lower production number/VIN more than likely went into production earlier but can take ultimately longer to build because of other factors.
In a lot of cases a higher VIN predates lower VIN by weeks, so a earlier month for a higher VIN happens more often than you think.

Quote:
I never received any information on that VIN. If it is a normal production or pre-production please feel free to share.
It's a normal pre-production car, built on 2010-09-23. I don't know where you got your data or what kind of access you got, but you can ran that VIN on any VIN decoder site or even at realoem to get year and production month.

Quote:
7507 has never been considered a "pre-production car so that is why it is included. None of the "press/demo/pre-production" cars are included in the official total production numbers that BMW releases. Some of those cars are probably not even in existence and are dismantled/destroyed.
VP75907 has options:
S991A PRE-SERIES MANAGEMENT
S9ACA Camouflaged pre-production vehicle

On top of that the car was never registered in North America.

All press cars are later sold to public. Pre-production cars are sometime sold to public.
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=8911
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=1841

According to your list, car VP75952 is a US car with production #14.
This is incorrect, VP75952 is a Canadian pre-production car that, to date, was never registered.
You also list VT47835 as the last US car, however VT47840 was also built in US-spec configuration in November 2011.

According to my data, there were 222 Canadian spec cars built. 3 were pre-production models and 6 were press cars. VP75907 was a pre-production press car.

761 cars were built in US configuration. 11 were pre-production and 6 for press.

Quote:
Flawed? Production number is determined by the VIN. The lower the VIN number the lower the production number. If you disagree that is your prerogative. Production date is simply (month/year) but if you think that production number should be determined by the actual minute/day/time a car is technically completed and everyone here agrees I can simply stop wasting my time here and shut it down.
I'm not attacking you, only trying to help. The only thing I can say for sure is that there is no right way. Cars that are actually numbered (M540i, Eurospec M3 for Canada) do not use any system. I believe BMW slaps those # randomly when a batch of cars is made. I used the same system to calculate production # as you, but after looking at over 500 different models I realized that is not the best system. I believe the actual date when the car is completed is its "birthday" and not the sequence when VIN was created. In some cases VIN are made, but cars do not actually get built.
However, like I said, BMW doesn't use any system to make a concrete case.

Quote:
Anything else I can help you with SickFinga? If you want to help please PM any and all VIN information you have. Otherwise, if you just want to nit pick then I am not interested.
Yes actually. Do you have information regarding VP75902 and VP75904?
In your spreadsheet it says website use for 902 and autoshow for 904. Do you have photos of those cars?

Last edited by SickFinga; 03-21-2013 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0