View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #52
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
The problem is this mentally that somehow purports track experience with parts as > any street use. It's frankly idiotic and misleading.

Track parts are single purpose rapidly disposed of wear items. Street drawbacks(like brake squeal from track pads or lightweight flywheel clatter) are utterly irrelevant when lapping the circuit.

Sure, those rotors might work on the track for keeping costs down. But I also have no doubt that due to their shoddy Chinese metallurgy, they rust up very quickly. No big deal on the track when you have your warmup lap to scrub them in with the tires. But when you back out of the garage on the way to work and are pulling past the house, that rusted over rotor is going to severely impair your stopping distance when your daughter runs out to give you a hug goodbye.

Parts need to be evaluated for their intended purpose. When it comes to street use, WGAF if it works on the track.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking if a rotor can take the abuse of the track then it's ok for street use. Many parts should be track use only but basic brake rotors is not one of them. It's absurd to think that some minor surface corrosion will severely hinder your ability to stop the car, especially in the situation you described.

Stig, I typically agree with your mentality and thoughts on the forum and I'm all for buying quality parts, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Appreciate 0