Thread: Rear rotors
View Single Post
      04-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #58
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I spoke to my metallurgist BIL over the weekend. He said if the casting process follows the proper procedures and the grey cast iron has the right mix of carbon and silicones (and other stuff my BIL rambled on about) that the chance of failure would be pretty rare but there might be uneven heat transfer. He used as an example run the car through a puddle of cool water and watch your rotors warp. Won't fail, but you'll need to turn or replace them.

What he couldn't understand is how someone could sell them for $10 pair and not lose money? So if they're still available, go get them and see how they work. By the way, said BIL heads up the metallurgy dept for engine castings at a Japanese auto manufacturer. He also showed me why our rims rust onto the hubs every few months.

What I recall from college physics 101 professor was: brakes don't stop cars. Trees do.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0