View Single Post
      08-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I ran the tires at the autocross again this weekend, but on a concrete instead of low grip asphalt surface. I also re-aligned my car with more front toe-out.

Grip was well up, and the built heat faster even in cool conditions. Honestly grip is too high for my stock suspension, and the car was rolling/ pitching far too much. The front toe-out helped turn-in slightly. The biggest difference was that on the high grip surface the tires don't go away very progressively- they hold on for dear life and the car winds up, then they let go with a snap. Not uncontrollably, zero danger of a spin, but it wasn't progressive.

This surface seemed to like lower pressures, 35 seemed better and I was working my way lower.

Michelin plans to make a run at the street tire SCCA market, and they are going to release sizes down through 18s. I think this tire will be fast there on suspensions that can handle it. Honestly the stock 1M suspension can't, at least in high grip AX conditions- this tire simply had too much stick for the chassis...