Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Michelin held a tire clinic in Monterey last week where they stated their intention for the MPSC2 to become the dominant choice for "street tire" classes, and that they will be releasing a wide range of sizes down through 18". They obviously think worldwide, and there are plenty of other time attack classes to go after, but they wanted to be SCCA legal to increase market share.

180 treadwear is entirely arbitrary, as all tire manufactures are gaming TWR in order to stay class legal. The old Sport Cup was 80 treadwear, and Michelin states the new one will last "up to 50% longer". How that equates to more than 2x the TWR I'm not sure, but Hankook and others are using the same math: The RS-3 was 140 TWR, just legal per old SCCA rules, then the rules changed and suddenly a "V2" came out with 200 TWR. If 200 TWR becomes "the number" across multiple classes you'll see many more tires changing TWR, including the PSC2.
I just heard back from Michelin specifically questioning them about the PSC2 and street class SCCA tire requirements. Here is their reply:

Quote:
We do not have any Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires coming out with a TW of 200.

They are all 180 for the Pilot Sport Cup 2.

We are sorry that you were given incorrect information.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.
Hence the info you heard at Monterey appears to be incorrect. They apparently do not have current plans for the PSC2 to become an SCCA autocross street tire class tire...at least for 2015 I guess.

I am not an SCCA nerd. I did just receive an email from the region in my area with the following rule

" Tire Tread Wear Notification
Do you have stacks of 140 tread wear tires left over from last year? Although no longer legal for competition at SCCA National level events, Texas Region SCCA Solo Supplementary Rules for 2015 includes the following 2015 Street Tire Special Provision:
For the competition year of 2015, for all Texas Region Solo events, all classes that are required by the Solo Rules to compete on street tires with a minimum tread wear rating of 200 shall be allowed to use tires with a minimum tread wear rating of 140"

Interesting local wrinkle.
Appreciate 0