Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
and this:
"Is it possible they sandbagging the MT crowd to get the AT crowd more interested in the tune? If you have any success getting the AT tune for your car worked out please let me/us know."
Implies that BMW is holding back something on purpose.
Why wouldn't BMW give you (or even sell you) the stage 3 for $50 more. Why are they forcing you to bribe some technician if it was technically possible?
In my experiences (which, granted, is only limited to the power generation business), it is not uncommon to hold some things back and market what you think will sell and not more. With the tune, maybe they don't want to outperform another one of their more expensive cars with this tune, maybe they don't want to eat too much into the conservatism/safety factors they built the car to...I really don't and can't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
We can speculate, that's healthy...
My speculation: there's only one software version (only one product number supports that theory).
That same product makes the engine produce more power if it's attached to an auto transmission, because of the "slush" nature of the hydraulic coupling versus the "hard" nature of the clutch coupling.
How's that?
That's a much more useful comment I think you're right that there's probably only 1 PPK tune (as opposed to an A version for AT and B for MT), but I would love to find out for sure if the performance gains are different because of hardware or software.

If there is a way to check software versions, maybe we can have someone with the tune and AT supply their version and compare it to someone with the tune and MT (I'll volunteer myself for the MT version if someone can tell me how to get the version).