View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
JDelphiki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 TSM 135i

I used to work for a research institute, specifically their Fuels and Lubricants division. I did testing on injector flow, lubricity of fuel additives, intake deposit measurements of fuels. It was an interesting field.

We had a very simply designed injector flow apparatus that served as a way to measure injector flow as well as unclog the injectors mechanically by pulsing them rapidly.

It worked wonders on clogged injectors. A clogged injector might have a 50% flow reading of 80mL(as opposed to 160mL) on it's initial flow test, and a quick 5-15sec rapid pulse could clear it up almost completely. Sometimes it would take a combination of pulsing mixed with unrestricted flow to do the trick but I would say these methods worked on 80% of injectors in restoring them to 90-100% flow rate. Sometimes injectors were just in too bad of a shape to get back to 90-100% flow rate, due to wear or being severely clogged.

The injectors I tested were either brand new(flowed to record a baseline measurement) or had either simulated high mileage or actual high mileage and needed to be flowed to determine the effects of fuels and fuel additives on them.

I tested my brothers old car that was due for new injectors and sure enough 1 of them was leaking and 2 were clogged. I was able to easily unclog the 2 injectors but the leaking injector needed to be replaced because it wasn't just a simple O-ring leakage.

I've thought about building my own injector flow apparatus, but I don't really have any space in the garage atm. I'd say all the materials needed to build it would cost about 100-200 dollars roughly. 1 or two weld jobs required.
Appreciate 0