View Single Post
      11-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Thing I regret #1: Not trusting my gut in how I was setting my car up. I decided to try what the forum consensus is for my 135i: stiff front spring rates relative to the rear and a BIG 27mm front sway. I hated it. Sold the sway, went back to stock bar, and increased the rear spring rate from 12k to 16k to make the suspension neutral again. I also went back to stock-like F:R ground clearance bias that keeps the rear squatted a few mm lower than the front. That's what keeps the chassis balanced and the dynamic cross-weight in check.

I was just talking to a very fast driver at autocross who was ripping on the 1-series "it understeers constantly until it oversteers from power." uhhh... no... the person campaigning the car just set it up terribly (another very fast driver). Instead of a 235/275 tire setup try 255/275. Instead of running 10k front springs and a 28mm front sway with tiny front tires (for a 3400lb car) try running something more reasonable like 6k w/ M3 sway bar... My car does not understeer it actually oversteers. It's possible.

Thing #2: My custom tune. I wanted to show what the stock turbo can do so we maxed it out on E30. Hitting 23-24psi and making 500wtq is fun on the street, but the power is not very useful at autocross/roadcourse (I was spinning in 3rd gear on track with rcomps). I plan to re-tune the car on as much ethanol as possible while keeping boost lower at like 16-17psi peak. That will keep the low rpm torque down and hopefully pick up some top-end power. Should make for an easier to drive car with a better power curve.

Thing #3: For the way I use my car, I wish I had gone with stiffer bushings everywhere. I went for cheaper instead. specifically, stiffer engine mounts would be nice since the 034 mounts I have don't come close to being aggressive enough to match poly trans mounts and RSFB. Also, forget doing a diff lockdown bracket and upgrade the differential bushings themselves. You DONT want your differential locked in place if you have soft bushings elsewhere... you need the compliance...

Last edited by bNks334; 11-15-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
AndyW673.50