11-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
:facepalm:

Youre focusing on one point of my argument, also in a sense, you agreed with my point.

First off "For You" isnt opinion based. It means choose the right tires for your area's climate, amount of snow, and type of snow.

And yes a narrow footprint digs in and is better a lot of the time, I havent denied that. But when you get into deep snow you keep digging, eventually you dont find any road, so youve dug a hole for your rear wheels that you cant get out of (thats called being stuck) and it happens in deep snow if you penetrate too far, hence why wider tires are better in deeper snow and yes I know that they ride ON TOP as you pointed out, thats the whole point! Its the same reason why man invented the snowshoe, or did you just ignore my entire rational on that?
The snow shoe argument needs to stop because it's a completely different technology and can not be directly compared to tires.
I didn't at all ignore the snow shoe, I addressed it directly.

A snow shoe is better for a man who is trying to walk in deep snow.
That doesn't translate to how tires work on a car.
On a car we aren't just considered with acceleration traction, we also need handling ability.

Since you made those claims I have been looking for and reading information about tires and snow and narrow vs wide, to see if anything has changed over the years..
Nearly everything I've found indicates the same information we've had for years, that narrow is better.

Two big authorities on tires and automobiles, the Tire Rack and Road & Track, state that narrower tires are better in snow than wider tires.
Since they both do testing on a lot of cars and tires, their information holds validity. It's up to you to provide proof for your assertion, other than your just your experience.

Mind you, I'm not saying that your experience is wrong. I'm just saying that it's completely counter to the greater experience information.
Appreciate 0