View Single Post
      05-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
Mad One
Jersey
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm
Maybe it's because in that car she can't get out of second (or even maybe first) gear without breaking even the highest speed limit on the island and you can't drive more than a couple of km on any road without running into a red light or stop sign? (i.e. the car is completely overkill for where she lives)?
It is a shame that Alice is getting rid of hers but it will not be because of overkill.

Its all about status and you would not believe the motors over here in the Channel Islands. Low tax equals lots of rich people! In Jersey alone, Boxters and Caymans are like the Ford Fiesta's and 911's are common as muck, it needs to be atleast a turbo to be anything remotely special and there are 2 Sport Classics here. Ferarri's a plenty, couple of Scuderia's and 599's and there are now quite a few Gallardo's. Bently Continentals and Astons V8 Vantages are also very popular. All in an island 9 miles by 5 miles with a 40mph upper speed limit with most area's being 30mph! I still remember the morning a few years ago when I heard a F50 in town, long before it drove past me and that same day saw an XJ220 drive past me with the number plate J220.

Its great for us common folk enthusiasts to get up close with some tasty metal.

My 1M is coming in August and i'm heading to the Spa F1 GP at the end of that month and with continental europe only a 1 hour boat ride away, there are plenty of reasons to own a fast car for driving purposes.
Appreciate 0