04-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #119
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
Both the GT1 and Autologic scanners can read and clear the codes.....so by definition the codes are not "invisible" to these scanners.

Once cleared they should not be detectable via a regular scan at the dealer.....HOWEVER if your car goes in for service and the dealer files a PUMA case with BMW to authorize warranty work, BMW may remotely scan your ECM for raw data that is stored deeper in the ECM and they will analyze it for abnormalities/implausibilities if your warranty claim looks suspicious.

So bottom line is even if the dealer can't see the detection codes because you cleared them beforehand, this is not a guarantee that BMW won't.

However, I think you would have to have some pretty unusual circumstances even to invoke a PUMA claim.

Blown turbos would trigger a PUMA no doubt, I'm not so sure about HPFP's though.

Posters who have had their pumps replaced report mixed results. Sometimes the dealer files a PUMA claim and sometimes not at all.
i had a fuel injector valve go out and they opened a puma case. Does tuning a car usually take these out?