View Single Post
      06-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think just letting the engine run/cool down after a hard run would be the best way to avoid the meltdown of the turbos. That and frequent oil changes. When I was at the Welt for M3_Adjuster 's ED delivery the SA at the Welt said that you SHOULD always just let the engine run a few minutes after a long hard run or long drive. This is just common sense I think. He said that the turbos can literally be red hot after a hard run. And letting the engine run a few minutes can let the turbos cool down enough not to be critical heat temps.
You're not kidding about being "red hot". Just installed a P3gauge which among other things lets you see the real time exhaust gas temps. On a single WOT run from 20 to 145 the EGT reach 1522F. It dropped pretty quick after the run and stayed around 1050F after a mile at 80mph. After 2 minutes of idling it fell below 700F. I don't think the EGTs are exactly the same as the turbos' sustained temps, but it goes to show you what kind of abuse they experience. And while some people will point out that the water pump continues to run and cool the turbos after you shut down, I agree it is best to let the engine idle for a minute or two before turning the car off.
Appreciate 0