08-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller
I have to start by saying that I love my 1M, it is a fantastic car! What I can't wrap my head around is how a company that has the ability to make such a fantastic car does such a poor job once the car has been manufactured.

I opted for European delivery, which if you have not done that, I highly recommend. As a bonus Porsche has revamped their program to be closer in cost to BMWs offering. 270 on the Autobahn and laps on the Nürburgring were an experience of a lifetime.

Problem is, when BMW shipped my car back, the transportation company they used dripped some kind of corrosive fluid on the hood, there were 3 splotches from three quarters to an inch and a half across.

I wanted to take the car to a shop that I found with the help of members here, but this was discouraged by the dealer. Even though there was no pro active efforts made by the dealer to address the issue, I dropped off the car for them to deal with, they gave me a loaner (323 stripper that they are charging me a $100 for.. whatever) and I figured I would just hope for the best.

Got a call 3 days later, seems that during transport something happened and they have damaged the front bumper cover, so now the entire front of the car will need to be repainted.

I am a reasonable person, all I wanted was my hood repainted and I was willing to understand that poo happens and move on. This second incident has made me less understanding and have little faith in the dealer or BMW and am reluctant to let them take the repair further.

I have contacted my lawyer and instructed the dealer to stop all work.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue / experience? What was the outcome.

I appreciate any input.

B
I'm not sure why you are attributing the acts of shipping companies to BMW. I wasn't aware that BMW was in the shipping business. If you are going to fault BMW for choosing bad shipping and transport companies then you should factor in the thousands of vehicles that have shipped without damages as well. I am sure your sample of two for two shipping/damages is quite an anomaly.

Sorry to hear of the damages that have occurred and hope that a resolution is found, however the actions of the shippers are certainly separate from BMW, so I don't understand why the fact that a shipper damaged your car has anything to do with BMW or your faith in the marque. Last I checked, BMW makes automobiles, and to date there has been nothing mentioned that is wrong with the vehicle itself.

as far as the choice on the repairer, If BMW is going to warranty the vehicle and the paintwork done to repair the shipping damage, I'd let them use the company of their choice as well, and I can certainly understand why they made the choice on who did the corrective repairs, because they are providing the warranty. I can't imagine them providing you a warranty on work that was done by a shop that you selected, nope, that's not gonna happen.

Go buy a hamburger at McDonald's and then try and return it to Burger King. Would you do that?

What's the purpose of stopping the work? Seems to me that you are just delaying your own repairs.....

I'm not clear about the order of the second damages on the bumper. Was this after the hood repair? If the bumper alone needs to be repainted the bumper will be removed and repaired and repainted and the hood would not be painted again. I doubt that the bumper was repainted with the hood, the hood was likely repainted by blending within the panel unless the damage was at an edge near the fender.

If the issue with the bumper happened on the way to get the hood work done then both will be repaired at the same time. The two parts, the hood and bumper are a far cry from the " entire front end" in my opinion. Let the dealer fix it and move on and enjoy your car again when it comes back.
Appreciate 0