bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I'm not sure why you are attributing the acts of shipping companies to BMW. I wasn't aware that BMW was in the shipping business. If you are going to fault BMW for choosing bad shipping and transport companies then you should factor in the thousands of vehicles that have shipped without damages as well. I am sure your sample of two for two shipping/damages is quite an anomaly.

Sorry to hear of the damages that have occurred and hope that a resolution is found, however the actions of the shippers are certainly separate from BMW, so I don't understand why the fact that a shipper damaged your car has anything to do with BMW or your faith in the marque. Last I checked, BMW makes automobiles, and to date there has been nothing mentioned that is wrong with the vehicle itself.

as far as the choice on the repairer, If BMW is going to warranty the vehicle and the paintwork done to repair the shipping damage, I'd let them use the company of their choice as well, and I can certainly understand why they made the choice on who did the corrective repairs, because they are providing the warranty. I can't imagine them providing you a warranty on work that was done by a shop that you selected, nope, that's not gonna happen.

Go buy a hamburger at McDonald's and then try and return it to Burger King. Would you do that?

What's the purpose of stopping the work? Seems to me that you are just delaying your own repairs.....

I'm not clear about the order of the second damages on the bumper. Was this after the hood repair? If the bumper alone needs to be repainted the bumper will be removed and repaired and repainted and the hood would not be painted again. I doubt that the bumper was repainted with the hood, the hood was likely repainted by blending within the panel unless the damage was at an edge near the fender.

If the issue with the bumper happened on the way to get the hood work done then both will be repaired at the same time. The two parts, the hood and bumper are a far cry from the " entire front end" in my opinion. Let the dealer fix it and move on and enjoy your car again when it comes back.
I am attributing the damage to my car to BMW because the damage happened while the car was in their care. I agree BMW is not in the shipping business. That being said, transportation is a component of their business, it is a service they are reselling and as such, they are ultimately responsible for the results.

In the past I have owned Porches and Audis, this is my second BMW. I have owned 24 cars in my life and I have not had issues with a dealer where a visit to the body shop was required due to their negligence or their bad luck.

In my BMW ownership experience, not including the initial delivery of the car, I have had 5 visits to dealers, 3 of those visits have resulted in damage to my car. My faith in the BMW marquee is effected by the experiences I have had with other dealers, which I have found to be better organized and offer me better service. I know this is a 1 series, maybe my experience would be different if I had purchased an M3 or 7 series.

The second shipping damage was a direct cause of the dealer, as they were using their own truck driven by an employee of the dealership to ship the car, not a contractor. The bumper needs to be replaced, not repainted as the damage is too extensive to be fixed.

The purpose of stopping work is on the advice of my lawyer. I am also pretty sure the repair facility is owned by the operator of the dealership, If I were a betting person, my money would not be on them getting it right. The service guy from the dealership said that they will have to repaint the fenders, he was not clear if they were damaged too, I will see Tuesday.

While there are passionate enthusiasts in Canada, it is no California when it comes to cars. I have seen some pretty sub par body work here. I am not taking this personally, the people at the dealership seem like nice people, and I am sure they are trying to do their best, and as you pointed out damage every time they have shipped the car is more than likely rare. I would rather take responsibility for the repair of my car myself and get it right.

Thanks for your time to reply.

B
Appreciate 0