Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whostorm05 View Post
The more I think about this the easier it makes me think it would be to just do it myself.

How's the best way to run power to it? I'm assuming you have to tap into something which only has power when the ignition is on and not straight to the battery.

How hard was it to get the front cables through the firewall? I'm not even worried about mounting the switch right now, I can do that with friends once I get back to Indiana. I'd just like to have it up and running by then.
I tapped into the cigarette lighter power line instead of the ignition. Simple...just have to remove the center console and buy t-tap connector and use the female end to connect to the 12V wire (black & red). You can also use the grommet or rubber (3" diameter) piece to get through the firewall (i'll post a pic later but its the same one you use to connect the p3 gauge to the DV valve). Once you pull off the underside of the dash it is in the upper left. I used a thin long piece of fiberglass (3/8" diameter from Home depot) to shove the cables through to the cabin. My previous pic shows where i mounted the ECU. Hope this helps. Install is very simple and took about 1 hr, 2hrs total is you include the amount of time it took to secure the diodes to the grilles. That was a PITA to figure out but could be done in 15 minutes. Keep in mind I do not have rear diodes installed so this might take another hour or two. I have the Stealth coating from Veil on my rear plate so I assume that is adequate for now.

Note...I did not connect the sound to the stereo speakers or radar detector. My 9500ix always alerts me when I am tagged with a laser gun.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0